OMG – Millionaire shortbread
This is amazing! It’s the best combination of cookie, caramel and chocolate, mmm… It’s soo delicious, the texture is lovely, the dark chocolate topping…OMG! It’s quite an effort to make this as it will take about 5 hours of your time, but it’s not difficult and I promise, it’s worth it! (Did I already said it was really delicious?!) This recipe is a great – maybe the best – cheat snack to fix your chocolate/sugar/caramel/cookie craving. Here we go!
- 1 can condensed milk (397g)
- 225g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar (witte basterdsuiker)
- 300g unsalted butter
- 125 g white sugar (fijne kristalsuiker)
- 200g dark chocolate (70%)
- Brownie tin 18x28cm
1. Place the unopened can in a large pan and make sure it is completely under water. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 3 hours. Check regularly if the can is still completely under water. After a couple of minutes the label will be coming off and you can remove it. After 3 hours, carefully remove the can and set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
2. When the can is cooling down, preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Combine the flour, caster sugar and 175g of the butter in cubes and mix with your hands into a nice dough. Place the dough in the brownie tin and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. Create holes in the shortbread with a fork and bake the shortbread for about 30 minutes or until it is light golden brown. Let the shortbread cool down.
3. Melt the rest of the butter (125g) in a pan, add the white sugar and let it melt on a low heat. Add the caramelised milk and heat it up for another 5 minutes and blend it all into a nice, smooth mixture.
4. Pour the caramel layer over the cooled shortbread and allow to cool completely for another 30 minutes.
6. You have made it! Take the Millionaire shortbread out the fridge and bring it up to room temperature. Cut into squares and enjoy!